The American Civil Liberties Union of West Virginia (ACLU-WV), a state-wide affiliate of the national ACLU, is devoted to defending and preserving individual rights and liberties that the U.S. and West Virginia constitutions and laws guarantee to everyone in this country. We advance our mission through litigation, legislation and public education advocacy.
We seek a dynamic team player with lobbying and policy advocacy experience to fill the position of Policy Director. The Policy Director is responsible for advancing the ACLU-WV’s broad civil liberties policy agenda before the state legislature, executive branch, and local governmental bodies, and to assume leadership in related policy projects. The Policy Director works under the supervision and direction of the Executive Director and in close collaboration with other staff.
The ACLU-WV is a growing, fast-paced and friendly office centrally located in the heart of downtown Charleston. Charleston offers a pleasant and cosmopolitan lifestyle in a smaller, affordable metropolitan area with active civic organizations, exciting arts and performance venues, institutions of higher education, and excellent medical facilities. West Virginia’s beautiful state parks, wildlife, and trails for hiking and biking are within easy reach.
• Oversee the ACLU-WV’s policy program, including developing short and long-term priority issue campaigns at the state and local levels consistent with organizational priorities;
• Develop and implement the affiliate’s legislative agenda utilizing appropriate strategies and tactics; lobby members of the legislature, their staff and the Governor’s office; analyze and track legislation that affects civil liberties; identify opportunities for bipartisan support on ACLU issues; draft ACLU initiated legislation and amendments; and prepare and deliver testimony and supporting material;
• Coordinate and collaborate with staff to plan and implement effective multi-disciplinary policy initiatives, involving a combination of legislative, legal, communication and organizing strategies;
• Cultivate relationships with key elected and appointed officials, staff, policy makers and related governmental bodies and leaders;
• Work in partnership with organizations and build coalitions with varied and diverse stakeholders to further the ACLU-WV’s policy and legislative agenda and represent the affiliate in meetings of ad hoc policy and legislative coalitions, committees and before various community groups; speak at events and forums;
• Identify opportunities for member engagement, including organizing the annual Lobby Day Meeting;
• Monitor and lobby civil liberties issues during the legislative interim, including attending legislative hearings and participating in legislative workgroups;
• Identify and implement strategic opportunities to advance our policy agenda at the local level;
• Prepare policy and communication materials as needed, including action alerts, talking points, issue briefs, editorials, reports, and website updates;
• Work collaboratively with the national ACLU and other ACLU affiliates to advance nationwide policy campaigns;
• Attend national and regional ACLU training and staff conferences; and
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
• B.A. required, a J.D. strongly preferred, and experience in political, legislative, or advocacy related-work, preferably in West Virginia;
• Understanding of and commitment to advancing the ACLU’s values, mission, and goals;
• Exceptional analytical, research and communication skills, as well as the ability to articulate legal concepts and complex issues tactfully and effectively to a variety of audiences;
• Exceptional initiative, vision and ability to develop and implement short and long-term integrated policy and legislative strategies;
• Ability working in coalitions, including developing shared plans, coordinating external and internal communications, and understanding political dynamics among partner groups;
• Ability to work collaboratively with the Executive Director, handle projects independently, keep organized in a fast-paced environment, manage several projects simultaneously, and adjust strategy to frequently changing demands;
• Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues across departments and functions;
• Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with diverse coalitions and community groups, and to work across the political spectrum and value differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance;
• Ability to collaborate with and utilize resources and strategies from national ACLU and other ACLU affiliates;
• Commitment to the highest ethical standards of lobbying and professionalism;
• Ability to work long hours during legislative session and commute to meetings and events throughout the state, as needed; and
• Proficient with Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel, and Power Point.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
Salary is commensurate with experience and within the parameters of the ACLU-WV compensation scale. Excellent benefits offered, including generous health insurance plan, life and long-term disability insurance, 401(k), generous sick, vacation, holiday leave and parking