West Virginia’s largest poverty law firm, Legal Aid of West Virginia (LAWV), has an exciting leadership position for an experienced and energetic attorney to serve as its next Legal Director, leading strategic advocacy and legal services statewide. *
LAWV, supported by an excellent Board, management team and staff, is a provider of critical legal services for West Virginia’s poorest and most vulnerable citizens. LAWV is now positioned to strategically grow and change in size, scope and focus to better address the problems of individuals and communities in poverty.
THE LEGAL DIRECTOR WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- Leading, planning and implementation of an articulated strategic advocacy vision to ensure the continued thoughtful development of LAWV’s litigation and advocacy efforts;
- Ensuring the continued provision of high quality legal assistance and effective systemic advocacy, with an emphasis on excellence and creativity;
- Leading the legal management team and staff to ensure the organization is agile and responsive to changing conditions, new trends, and unexpected challenges impacting clients and the low income community.
- Serving as general counsel to the LAWV Board and Management Team, ensuring firm legal ethics standards and lawyer disciplinary rule compliance, and oversight of funder compliance, human resource issues and contractual transactions; and
- Serving as an effective ambassador to LAWV’s public and key stakeholders.
THE LEGAL DIRECTOR MUST:
- Be a licensed attorney in good standing and have the ability to become a member of the West Virginia State Bar within 6 months of hire (See WV Rules of Professional Conduct – Rule 4.0 – Admission without Examination and Rule 9.0 – Limited Permission of Attorneys of Other States)
- Possess an extensive and varied litigation background, ideally with a demonstrable history of creative and high impact advocacy.
- Be passionate about the mission of LAWV and demonstrate a commitment to advocating for the legal rights of low-income persons;
- Possess exceptional leadership skills and have successful management experience in a legal services program or similar organization;
- Exhibit excellent communication skills and the ability to inspire the trust and confidence of the LAWV staff, board and client communities, and the public;
- Demonstrate experience in nonprofit finance, compliance, ethics and personnel management;
- Have experience in working in and supporting a team environment; and
- Convey vision, integrity, intelligence, creativity, energy and humor equal to the challenges of this demanding position.
* LAWV’s Legal Director retired in July 2015 after serving the program since its creation in 2002.
|How to Apply
Screening of applicants begins immediately and will continue until the time of selection. To receive full consideration, you are encouraged to submit your application materials by August 14, 2015, or sooner if possible. Please submit a letter expressing your interest in the position, your qualifications for the job, and your vision of the future for LAWV. Please include a résumé and the names and contact information for three professional references.
Our goal is to make a final decision in August- September 2015 with an anticipated start date in October, 2015.
Materials should be submitted online to: email@example.com
The salary depends on experience based on a competitive public interest salary scale. Benefits include a generous leave policy, excellent family health insurance, life & disability insurance, and a 403(b) plan.
LAWV is an equal opportunity employer that strives to enhance its ability to develop a diverse staff and to increase its potential to serve a diverse community. All applications are welcomed and encouraged and will receive consideration.