The Committee formerly known by the names Lawyer Information and Referral Service and Tuesday Legal Connect has changed its name to The Legal Outreach Committee. The change of name reflects the progress the Committee has made during the past few years making legal services more readily and easily available to the public. The Committee now sponsors three different programs:
- Tuesday Legal Connect – The weekly call in service operated by the West Virginia State Bar and Legal Aid of West Virginia from 6 to 10 p.m. on Tuesday evenings.
- West Virginia Lawyer Referral Service – A 24/7 online service that allows the public to connect with attorneys who may be willing to take on new cases. Participants in the Lawyer Referral Service can be searched by practice area and county, or zip code.
West Virginia Online Legal Help – A 24/7 online service that allows users to post legal questions to a private messaging system. The questions are answered by volunteer attorneys. All information posted is held in strict confidence.
On November 3, 2015 the Government Lawyers Committee held a reception at the Charleston offices of Pullin, Fowler, Flanagan, Brown & Poe.
Below are photos from the event.
In Plain Cite is a podcast about developments in constitutional and federal criminal law produced by the Federal Public Defender office in the Southern District of West Virginia. Since its launch in July 2015, topics discussed on the show have included the Supreme Court’s recent opinion in
Johnson v. United States that declared a major recidivist sentencing provision unconstitutional, the various sentencing reform bills pending before Congress, and the courts’ treatment of cell phone data and the Fourth Amendment. The most recent episode (Episode 5) talked about the Clemency Project with a pair of guests who are on the front lines of the continuing push for federal prisoners seeking reduced sentences. The next episode will deal with the amendments to the Sentencing Guidelines that went into effect at the beginning of this month.
The show can be found on the main page of the website of the Federal Public Defender for the Southern District of WV at http://wvs.fd.org/
or it can be found in your favorite podcast app or in iTunes and subscribed to. It is also available at http://inplaincite.libsyn.com/
Introducing Best Buy for Business
Substantial savings from one of the nation’s top consumer electronics companies.
Members can get great pricing on over 150,000 brand-name products from Best Buy for Business. NPP’s contract with Best Buy gives you top-tier pricing on the latest energy-saving appliances, Air Conditioning units, Audio/Visual products, computers, surveillance systems and more.
Best Buy For Business offers:
- Multi-location shipping and local store pickup, returns and exchanges
- Technical support from Geek Squad
- Best Buy delivery and local installation services
- Flexible payment options like Net-30 invoicing, purchase orders and leasing
- Volume ordering on products and Best Buy gift cards
To learn more about Best Buy for Business and how it can help your business, visit the NPP website at www.mynpp.com. Once at the site, log in and visit the Best Buy for Business page.
If you’re not already an NPP member, signing up is free and easy with no obligation to purchase. Go to www.mynpp.com and click “Join Now” to see the wide variety of discounts that NPP has available to you.
If you have any questions, feel free to call or email:
National Purchasing Partners